POIAN It lies in the northern part of the Targu Secuiesc Depression, at the meeting line between this depression and the Casinu-lui Secuiesc Mountains, 9 kms far from Targu Secuiesc and 42 kms far from Sfantu Gheorghe. It has a railway station on the Sfantu Gheorghe-Bretcu secondary line.
Its name of Slavic origin and sounding has been changed for several times throughout ages. The commune's administrative territory consists of Poian, Belani. Prehistoric settlements has been excavated here from the periods of the late Neolithic and of the Bronze Age. A mining pickaxe from the Roman period has also been discovered. In the neighbouring brook named Telek a Slavic colony had been opened up, and later cottages from the dug in the ground (10-11th centuries) were excavated. On a protruding peak of the Casin Mountains' western edge we can find the remains of the castle named Cece. According to the excavations carried out in 1975 it is a Dacian castle from the late Iron Age. Its remains of walls made of lime prove that on these foundations also an early medieval castle was built by the locals. In 1581 it was still inhabitable and in accordance with the documents it was owned by the Tarnoczy family.
Click to gallery!